Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Bioshock Infinite Main characters-Part 2


Elizabeth's Second Costume
This dress formerly belonged to Lady Comstock, who died in 1895, because of this, I will be assessing its accuracy for both 1912 and 1895.

If you look at the front of her corset, you can see that it has hook and eye closures down the front, meaning that it is a split busk corset. In 1912, the standard corset started at the bust point or underneath the bust. The job of corsets at the time was to slim down the hips and bum-rather than nip in the waist-to create the popular columnar silhouette.  If we compare it to a corset from 1895, it's actually semi accurate. The popular silhouette at the time had a tiny waist, an accentuated bust, and the hips pushed back to create the fashionable "S curve" silhouette. But the biggest problem is this: You can see her corset. She's wearing her corset on the outside of her clothing, and to top it off it isn't even a period accurate corset. This is the 1912 equivalent of walking around almost fully dressed, with only your bra on on top.
Moving on from that, the shrug she's wearing irks me. Bolero style jackets did come into fashion in the mid 19th century, but by the late 1800s they had changed style. Most had the gigantic puffed sleeves that were popular at the time, and reached further across the chest. By 1912 boleros seem to have fallen out of fashion.
The skirt looks nothing like the slimmer style favored in 1912. It does have a similar shape to the flared skirts popular in the 1890s. These would be supported by a number of petticoats(I'm not sure if the white part at the bottom of the dress is supposed to be one, but it certainly wouldn't be enough).
One last note, I really wish she hadn't cut her hair midway through the game. I get the writers were trying to make it look like she was having a big character development moment and "growing up", but the bob haircut didn't become a symbol until the 1920's. I would have preferred if they had her put her hair up, which-in 1912-actually signified that a person was a "woman."


Rosalind's hairstyle

Rosalind's hairstyle looks like it is based on the Gibson Girl hairstyle. It has a similar look from the side and front to some of the pompadour style of the day.
The one thing I find a bit odd is the back, I just don't understand how her hair could work like that.
Robert Lutece
Speaking of hair, his is actually quite nice, I'm not quite sure about the weird turned up part in the front, but it doesn't throw me too far out of the game.
I'm going to be a little bit lazy and say check out what I wrote about Booker for the shirt and pants. The suit confuses me. It looks a bit too open. As far as I can tell, it only has one button, while most suits of the era had at least 2 or 3, and fastened higher on the chest. For the waistcoat, look at Booker again. I'm ok with the tie, it's not completely accurate, as many of the ties seen in photos and illustrations are wider, but there is evidence of narrower ones existing.
The pants look perfectly decent to me, the shoes are, again, wingtip brogues.

Burial at Sea

Just a few things that I noticed.
This woman's outfit is Dior's new look from 1947.
Both of these women are wearing dresses with a "shelf bust" design. This became popular in the mid 1950's and defined a garment with a "shelf" built into the bodice which enhanced the appearance of the bosom(personally I am not a fan).

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. as both a gaming fan and a fan of edwardian fashion I've been going down a rabbit hole on how accurate bioshock infinite truly was to its time period when I noticed elizabeth's situation with the corset. I dont even know if you'll read this but I must thank you for the post and saving my night

    ReplyDelete