Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Fashion in Assassin's Creed Bits and Pieces #2

Assassin's Creed Unity

I've been watching a playthrough, and wanted to look at the outfits a bit more.
Note: Most of the pictures are from this video on Youtube.
There's a lot of regency/late 1790's style clothing. So some of my assessment will look at them in comparison to Napoleonic era clothing

Arno Dorian
First off: A 5 o'clock shadow, Arno? Really?
The tails of his cravat should be tucked(it is in promo art). The outer coat sort of works. The large epaulets with the elongated looping around the buttons is reminiscent of military uniforms of the day. The waistcoat is odd. It looks like it's only done up with one button, and otherwise is hanging open. Does it not fit? He also seems to have a vest under this that looks like it's made of suede. Then a-I'm assuming standard regency-shirt underneath. Let me tell you, those shirts are a literal pain in the neck to wear. I'm not completely sure about the seams on his breeches, and they seem to be unfastened. I must say, though, I do like the fact that he's wearing them rather than full pants. You can tell he's wearing shoe covers, and the shoes are semi-decent.

His ball outfit, however has fewer redeeming aspects. (I already discussed Elise's outfit here.)
There is a point in the game where he's just running around in this getup which
basically means he was running around half dressed.
You get to see that under it he's wearing a generic shirt, along with breeches(fastened this time huzzah!), stockings, and shoes. On top of that, though, he's basically wearing a badly done regency/napoleonic tailcoat. If we look at it with that standard in mind; the gap at the collar is just plain weird, it should have a second row of buttons on his left. The turned back cuffs do have historical precedent, but their shape is a little wonky. The opening at the front is too narrow, as tailcoats would be open to the sides of the body. On the whole it looks most like a modern tailcoat.
I would also like to draw your attention to the back.
It's not easy to see, but there is a insert at the top that curves up over the shoulder blades. As far as I know this was not a construction method used until the modern times. Actual coats had long panels whose seams started at the mid shoulder blade, and curved toward the spine.

Marie Levesque
She's only there for a few moments, but I had to mention her dress.
Other than the hair, which is much too simple, I give it a pass. The colours are a bit drab, but I can overlook that. It looks like she's wearing a redingote, and fashion plates from the time show women wearing white shawls around their shoulders.

Marie Antoinette only turns up in a co-op mission (so no one saw it until it was patched)
Maybe it's just me, but the dress reminds me of this portrait of Madame du Pompadour (one thing I'm confused about is if the dress in the first portrait is the same as the one in these two.) But back to the game.


It's pretty decent. It looks like a simple robe a la francais, with the tight sleeves and smaller panniers. The only thing that really bugs me is the bodice. It looks like the natural form bodices seen in the late 1870's-early 1880's. In the rococo period bodices usually had more of a flat shape in the front. I would like the neckline to be lower and wider, and the bows on the stomacher look a bit cheap, but overall, I think it's one of the better costumes in this game.
The hair is also pretty god. It looks like a toned down version of her actual hairstyles in the late 1780's. It has the frizzier upper part with the curls coming down around the neck.

Always fun to see the Marquis de Sade. Not as much fun seeing his outfit (the shoes aren't too bad).

Random (Historical) Comments
What if I don't want to help the Assassins? I side with the Templars. Bishop asks if you want to join the brotherhood. My answer: NO.
Outsidexbox actually discussed some of the errors here.
It's really clear that a lot of the cast is Canadian, and trying to do English accents.
All the destruction/floating platforms did not fit with an AC game. This isn't Uncharted.
Why do some of the guards have northern English accents?
At least they finally acknowledged the methods of the hashashin,
I wish there were more historical figures/events.
It was interesting to see the belle epoch and WWII, but the era jumping did not fit with the game.

I saw this on AC confessions.
I had the(admittedly mean, and not very articulate) reaction of "well duh." I feel bad about it in retrospect. But for 3 of the 5, it is historically accurate. I can't really speak to Connor's hairstyle (more on why when I get to the post on AC3), Ezio's is wrong, men in the Renaissance did wear their hair down to the shoulders at times, but it was seldom tied back. For Arno, Haytham and Shay, all 3 of them lived(?) in the 18th century, when it was appropriate for men to tie their hair back in a queue.

Christina Vespucci, who I'm pretty sure is supposed to be Simonetta Vespucci, a famous Florentine beauty, and the inspiration for Botticelli's Venus.

She dresses deccently. Because she seems to be based on a real person who was painted multiple times as having reddish blonde hair, I will complain about her having dark brown hair. Despite this, her costume is quite good. I don't like the random belt under the empire  waistline. I also wish that the sides of the dress met in the center, rather than having a weird open section (more like the concept art). Overall, the silhouette is correct, but I would like to see more volume in the skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment