Sunday, May 24, 2015

Tools

What is absolutely neccesary to knit?
Sticks and some kind of string. Over a long time this has turned into the modern needles and yarn.
And a lot of pictures on the internet
What is wrong with you people? RUN!!!
This is pretty much all a knitter really needs to make something. Sure, we fancy it up by having different sizes, materials and styles of needles and yarn, but it all boils down to the same basic supplies.

The really fancy supplies come in the form of accessories. There is an innumerable amount of little gadgets and gizmos that people use to help them in their knitting.
Today we'll look at some of my favorites, so what better place to start than my toolkit?
This little box was given to me by a good friend
On the left side we have some of my favorite things in the world. The Handi tool from Susan Bates. This is a small aluminum crochet hook with a point on the opposite end. It is the greatest tool I have for picking up stitches and undoing knots. I actually recently lost the one that I had and started freaking out. I was unable to find it and eventually had to get another one. When we went to the store dad suggested I get 2 because they are inexpensive. It's a beautiful tool, cheap yet useful and practical. While it may not be absolutely necessary, I've come to love using it and rely on it.
Moving right we see some buttons and 2 pairs of scissors. The stork ones are really sharp and pointy ans I keep them at home. The ones beside it are portable and fit nicely into the case.
The entire right side contains stitch markers. These are used to keep track of stitches or rows by putting a colorful little do-dad on them. My favorites are the orange and turquoise ones at the bottom. They can be clasped around stitches or needles, making them easy to move and adjust. Next to that is a buch of safety pins. These work the same way as the bigger stitch markers, but for smaller pieces. Above that are normal circular marker, which are good when you absolutely do not want a marker to move. The other ones have hardly been used. They've got some really cool charms that I got as part of a yarn swap, but they're a bit cumbersome to use. I still love them though.
The black one is my favorite. It was given to me by the friend who gave me the box and is supposed to ward off evil. There will definitely be projects in my foreseeable future that will be in need of its protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment